Saturday, July 13, 2013

The precision of the science photograph

I am sure everyone who is a photographer can share the time they became serious about photography. I  can recall that time. I was 17 years old, bought a Minolta SRT 101 camera and I loved making pictures of people. I made the following photograph of the Jackson Twins,  Utica, New York in 1975.


I did not begin making science photographs until possibly 1976. When I was taking a histology class at Bradley University, I had to draw my observations from the class and - like most - my illustrative skills were somewhat primitive. But I managed.


Since that time I have become significantly better at my photography using a microscope. Below is a photograph made in Stockholm October 2012 of camel skin showing the hair follicles as well as sebaceous glands.


Recently I was exposed to Dr Ramon Cajal, a neurologist who practiced in the late 1880's. He was truly a gifted artist.


This next drawing is even more impressive.






No comments:

Post a Comment